1. Look and say what you can see in these places.
There are many museums in Kyiv. My favourite place to go is the Museum of Zoology. I can see lots of animals there.
a museum / the Museum of Zoology a theatre / the National Opera
a cinema a square
2. Read and complete the text with the sentences (A-D)
The capital of Ukraine is Kyiv. It is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. (1)............ .More than three million people live there.
The streets of Kyiv are beautiful. They are lined with chestnut trees, lime trees and poplars. (2) …….. . Kyiv is the political, economic, scientific, industrial and cultural centre of Ukraine. It has a lot of museums, art galleries, concert halls, theatres and cinemas. (3)…. . Kyiv is also famous for its attractive parks. The city has a well-developed transport system. (4)…............ . There is also an underground, a railway station, an airport and a river port.
AThe chestnut tree is a symbol of Kyiv.
В Many buses, minibuses, trolley-buses, trams and cars carry passengers around the city.
С Kyiv is located on the picturesque banks of the Dnipro River.
D They are very popular with tourists.
3. Answer the questions about Kyiv.
1. Where is Kyiv?
2. How many people live in the capital city?
3. Are the streets of Kyiv wide or narrow? What are they lined with?
4. What sights can people see in Kyiv?
5. Does Kyiv have a well-developed transport system or not?
6. How can you travel around the city?
4. Play a guessing game. Work in groups. Group A chooses a word from the text in Ex. 2 and explains it. Group В looks through the text and guesses which word it is.
Group A: This is a kind of a tree. It is a symbol of Kyiv. The streets of the capital are lined with them.
Group B: It’s a chestnut tree.
5. Listen, read and act out the dialogue.
Ann: Hi, Kim! I haven’t seen you for ages. How are you?
Kim: Hi, Ann! I’m fine. And what about you?
Ann: Just fine. Where are you going?
Kim: To the theatre. Will you come with me? The performance starts at one o’clock.
Ann: I’d love to, but I’m afraid I can’t. I haven’t seen my granny for about a month.
We are going to visit her today.
Kim: Bye, then. Say “hi” to your granny for me. See you on Monday!
Ann: Bye-bye, Kim! Have fun!
6. Write the words in the correct order to make sentences.
Example:and / nice I of I streets / wide / Kyiv / The / are / .
- The streets of Kyiv are wide and nice.
1. famous / is / Kyiv / its / parks / for / attractive / .
2. year / visit / Kyiv / people / every / A lot of / .
3. has / transport / city / well-developed / The / a / system / .
4. are / many / galleries / Kyiv / in / art / There / .
5. proud / capital / Ukrainians / of / are / their / .
1. a) Listen and repeat the names of places of interest in Kyiv.
• St. Sophia’s Cathedral • Independence Square • the Kyiv-PecherskaLavra
• Khreshchatyk Street • AndriyivskiyUzviz (Descent) • the Golden Gate
• the House with Chimeras • Mariyinskiy Palace • St. Andrew’s Church
b) Look at the photos. Which is a square? a palace? a cathedral? a museum?
Match the photos (1-9) to the list of landmarks given above.
2. Work in pairs. Talk about the photos to Ex. 1.
A: Have you ever been to Kyiv?
B: Yes, I have. Which tourist attractions have you visited?
A: I have seen the Golden Gate and St. Sophia’s Cathedral.
A: Have you ever been to Kyiv?
B: No, I haven’t. But I’d like to go there one day. I’d like to have a walk along Khreshchatyk Street and visit the Kyiv-PecherskaLavra. These places are popular with tourists.
3. Listen, read and say what places in Kyiv you have already visited or would like to visit.
A Trip Around Kyiv
Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine, is on the Dnipro River. The city is more than 1500 years old. The main street of the capital is Khreshchatyk Street. Independence Square is at the northern end of Khreshchatyk Street. It is the most popular place for national celebrations and holiday events.
The historical heart of the city is Podil. All the visitors who come here admire
St. Andrew’s Church.AndriyivskiyUzviz (Descent) is very popular with tourists.
It is the best place to buy Ukrainian souvenirs and art and crafts.
St. Sophia’s Cathedral is famous for its beautiful mosaics and frescoes.
The Golden Gate is another monument from the 11th century. It was built during the time of Yaroslav the Wise and it served as the main entrance to the city.
Kyiv is a city where ancient and modern live side by side. There are so many places to visit that we can’t see everything during one short trip.
4. Read and match.
Відображення документу є орієнтовним і призначене для ознайомлення із змістом, та може відрізнятися від вигляду завантаженого документу
Зверніть увагу, свідоцтва знаходяться в Вашому особистому кабінеті в розділі «Досягнення»