Відображення документу є орієнтовним і призначене для ознайомлення із змістом, та може відрізнятися від вигляду завантаженого документу
“THE USA: KNOWN AND UNKNOWN”
Great Seal of the USA Flag of the USA The capital of the USA is Washington
The history of foundation of the USA The geographical position of the USA The USA and its 50 states The Political System of the USA Education and Science American Youth. Sports. American Holidays Living in the USA and official currency. Food. Shopping. American character.
1. The history of foundation of the USA The settlers fought for their independence from Britain in the late 18th century and formed a union of states based on a new constitution. The nation continued to expand westward and, although the country is a relatively young nation, it has become a global power since declaring independence from Britain on July 4, 1776. For centuries, native peoples lived across the vast expanse that would become the United States of America. In the early 17th century, settlers moved from Europe to the ‘New World’, established colonies and displaced the native peoples.
Choose the correct variant to fill in the blanks 1. When did Christopher Columbus reach the Bahamas? 2. The Declaration of Independence was approved by the Continental Congress in… 3. The Constitution of the USA was adopted in… 4.The first national flag was taken in… 5. Abraham Lincoln became the President in… a) 1492 b) 1513 c) 1475 a)1612 b) 1776 c)1815 a) 1920 b) 1787 c) 1564 c) 2010 a) 1777 b)1810 c) 1812 a) 1861 b) 1840
Complete the sentences 1.In 1872 ____________ became the first National Park. 2. In 1879 Thomas Edison invented ______________ . 3. In 1924 all Native American Indians were made___________. 4. The United States joined NATO in ________ . 5. __________was the first person to walk on the moon. Yellowstone the electric lamp US citizens 1949 Armstrong
2. The geographical position of the USA The United States of America is the world's third largest country in size and nearly the third largest in terms of population. Located in North America, the country is bordered on the west by the Pacific Ocean and to the east by the Atlantic Ocean. Along the northern border is Canada and the southern border is Mexico. There are 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Answer the questions 1. How many states does the country consist of? (50 states) 2. What state is the largest one? (Alaska) 3.What state is the smallest one? (Rhode Island) 4.What is the highest point of the USA? (Mount McKinley) 5.What is the longest river in the USA? (The Mississippi)
6. What is the largest lake in the USA? (The Lake of the Woods) 7. What is the largest city in the USA? (New York) 8. What is the nickname of Alabama? (Cotton State) 9. What is the origin of the name Colorado? (Spanish for red) 10. Where is the Jefferson Memorial? (District of Columbia)
3. The USA and its 50 states In the United States, a state is a political entity. There are currently 50 of them, and they are bound together in a political union. Each has a government and can make laws over a particular area that the state covers. All states have a shared sovereignty with the U.S. federal government. People who live in states are citizens of both the United States and the state they are in.
Complete the sentences Hawaii is a leader in _____________________. 2. _______________ is the shortest river in the world. 3. Indiana is national leader in production of __________________. 4. _________ is famed for its fine horses, bourbon and tobacco. 5. The birthplace of jazz and home of Louis Armstrong is ___________. Pineapple production The Malad River Musical instruments Kentucky Louisiana
Choose the correct variant to fill in the blanks 1.Michigan in the only state that is divided into … 2. The capital of Minnesota is … 3. … is home to the world most popular gambling centre Las Vegas 4. …gave the world football, baseball and Santa Claus 5. John Rockefeller founded the Standard Oil Company in … a) three b) two c) five a) Topeka b) Boston c) St. Paul a) Nebraska b) Texas c) Nevada a) New Jersey b) Ohio c) Oklahoma a) 1749 b) 1870 c) 1910
4. The Political System of the USA Citizens over the age of 18 years old vote to elect the President and Vice President of the United States every four years. The president lives in the White House in the capital city of Washington, D.C.
The part of the government that makes the country’s laws, controls the money and decides if the USA should go to war is called the Congress. There are two houses of Congress – the Senate and the House of Representatives. The Senate has 100 members, two from each of the 50 states, and each serves a six-year term. The House of Representatives is made up of 435 representatives, who must be elected every two years. The Supreme Court is the branch of the government that interprets the laws of the USA. It is the highest court in the country and made up of nine justices, who are each picked by the president and must be approved by Congress.
Choose the correct variant to fill in the blanks 1.The Declaration of Independence was adopted in….. 2. When was George Washington born ? 3.What was George Washington’s father ? 4.When was George Washington elected the first President of the USA ? 5.Abraham Lincoln was the….President of the USA ? c)1901 a)1809 b)1776 c)1811 a)1684 b)1732 c) a teacher a) a doctor b) a well-to-do planter c)1801 a)1778 b)1789 c) 20th a) 13th b)16th
6.Abraham Lincoln was born in Kentucky in… 7. Abraham Lincoln `s mother died when he was… 8. Abraham Lincoln entered the Congress in…. 9. The capital of the USA is…. 10. There are…Senators in the Congress c) 1915 a)1792 b)1809 c) 9 a) 3 b) 7 c) 1900 a)1795 b)1847 c) Boston a) New York b) Washington c) 200 a) 50 b) 100
5. Education and Science Prior to higher education, American students attend primary and secondary school for a combined total of 12 years. These years are referred to as the first through twelfth grades.
Around age six, U.S. children begin primary school, which is most commonly called “elementary school.” They attend five or six years and then go onto secondary school. Secondary school consists of two programs: the first is “middle school” or “junior high school” and the second program is “high school.” A diploma or certificate is awarded upon graduation from high school. After graduating high school (12th grade), U.S. students may go on to college or university. College or university study is known as “higher education.”
1. When was Harvard College founded ? (1636) 2. How many elementary schools are there in the USA ? (77 000) 3. How many high schools are there in the USA ? (23 000) 4. How many colleges and universities are there in the USA ? (3 500) 5. How does the school age vary ? (From 6 to 18) Answer the questions
6. How many tests are there for students who wish to attend a college or university ? (2) 7. Who invented the telegraph ? (Samuel Morse) 8. Who invented the telephone ? (Alexander Bell) 9.When did George Eastman produce the Kodak camera ? (1888) 10. When did Garret Morgan invent the traffic light ? (1916)
6. American Youth. Sports. American Holidays Young people in the USA also have their problems and hobbies. I would like to tell about some of them. At American schools there are many different circles for schoolchildren, for example, a school literature society, sports society, and so on. Many young American people are fond of sports. They attend school sports clubs. There are sports teams at schools and different competitions are organized quite often.
There are also some political organizations, and different organization, that are connected with ecology or racial discrimination. As our youth, American young people also like to communicate with each other and spend a lot of time together. Besides, lots of children and teenagers have hobbies. They join different clubs that are organized for young people having the same hobby. During their holidays young people like to travel.
Complete the sentences ________is the most popular spectator sport in the USA 2. The first basketball game was played in _____________ 3. Volleyball was first played in _______ 4. The four major sports in the USA are _______________________________ . 5. American like competition by __________________. Football Springfield, 1891 1895 Hockey, baseball, football and basketball Teams or as individuals
Choose the correct variant to fill in the blanks Mother `s Day comes on ….. Memorial Day is a national holiday celebrated on…. 3. They celebrate Independence Day… 4. The eleventh of November is…. 5. Christmas is celebrated on…. c) the first Monday in April a) the second Sunday in may b) the third Friday in September c) the last Monday in May a) the first Monday in May b) the last Sunday in June c) on the third of November a) on the fourth of July b) on the first of September c) Veteran `s Day a) Christmas b) Father `s Day c) the thirtieth of December a) the twenty- fifth of December b) the third of January
7. Living in the USA and official currency. Food. Shopping. American character. Americans are nice, welcoming and friendly people. In suburbs and cities neighbours spend free time together, people smile and they are always ready to help if you need it. Sometimes you can even get compliments from strangers. This country is one of the most friendly and kind societies in the world.
Moreover, you’re absolutely free in the USA, because locals accept you as such there in spite of your age, sex, race, nationality, mental capabilities and even food preferences or lifestyle. People admire this country because it shows them that they have a freedom of speech there. Americans can say what they want and express their opinions in public. Frankly speaking, it can be a reason to be arrested and thrown in jail in other countries.
Answer the questions 1. How many titles can be used for women ? (three) 2. What are they ? (They are Miss, Mrs. And Ms) 3. What title can be used for men ? (Mr.) 4. What is a monetary unit of the USA ? (Dollar) 5. When did the dollar become the official currency unit in the USA ? (1792)
6. When do Americans have breakfast ? (From 6:30 to 10:00 a. m ) 7. What do they have for lunch ? (A sandwich, yogurt, a light entrée) 8. How many types of restaurants are there in the USA ? (Fast-food restaurants and full-service restaurants) 9. What do the most Americans prefer ? (They prefer discipline themselves) 10. What are Americans considered to be ? (Sentimental)
Зверніть увагу, свідоцтва знаходяться в Вашому особистому кабінеті в розділі «Досягнення»