HOLISAYS AND TRADITIONS
Cardinal and Ordinal Numerals. New Vocabulary on the topic.
By the end of the: lesson students should practis vocabulary;, understand new grammar material
“Cardinal and Ordinal Numerals”;practise reading and speaking on the topic;
Equipment: multimedia presentation, placards “Holidays and Traditions”, text books, cards, audio files.
Type of the lesson: A combined Lesson
T: Good morning, my darlings!
I am glad to see you.
How are you today?
P1: I am fine, thank you.
P2: I am very well, thank you.
T: What’s the date today?
Is anybody absent today?
Why? What’s the matter?
T: Let’s begin our work. (Slide 1.)
2). Presenting the topic and the aim of the lesson.
T: The topic of our today’s lesson is … You will know it if you guess this word:
8 / 15 / 12 / 9 / 4 / 1 / 25 / 19
(One of the pupils’ goes to yhe blackboard and writes the theme on the blackboard)
“H O L I D A Y S” (Slide 2.)
By the end of the lesson you will be able: (Slide 3.)
to understand and operate the new words and grammar material ;
to listen ,read and speak about the holidays;
to talk about some holidays and special holidays in Great Britain and in Ukraine;
to communicate with your friends on the theme “Holidays”;
to write a test.
3. Avaluationof the pupils during the lessons.
T: Dear children! I suppose that during this lesson you’ll be active, productive and very hardworking. On your desks you have the so called” self – assessment cards”.If you answered a question or have done one of the tasks you should make a tick in your card. Every tick costs two balls. For example: you answered three times and have three ticks in your card, your mark is 6 balls.
4) Warming up. T: Children , let’s begin our lessond with the warming up.
Teaching conversation: T –P1, P2, P3
T: Do you like holidays?
What is your favoutite holiday? Why?
Do you like to invite guests?
What do you usually cook for this holiday?
What English or Ukrainian holidays do you know?
Do you know any poems about holidays? .
P1. We have a fir-tree in the hall
It is so beautiful and tall
Around it we dance and play
Because it is a New Year’s Day. .
P2: Christmas is coming; the geese are getting fat,
Please put a penny in an old man’s hat;
If you haven’t got a penny,
A half penny will do;
If you haven’t got a half penny, God bless you.
P3: Let me give you my hands,
Let me give you my arms,
Let me give you my heart
May it only love you?
Be my sweetheart.
P4: February the 14th Day,
It’s Valentine, they say.
I choose you from the rest,
The reason is I love you best.
The rose is red ,
The volet is blue,
The lily is fair,
And so are you.
The main part of the lesson
Vocabulary and grammar revision.
T: For our furher work we’ll need to revise the names of 12 months, the days of the week and the numerals. Work in rows, please. The 1st row remembers the months of the year, the 2nd row remembers the days of the week, the 3rd row counts from 1 to 100.
Check on the homework.
T: Children, I think it’s high time to ckeck your homework. What was your homework for today?
P: We were to make up 6 questions on the situation. Imagine yourself an English boy or girl who is going to visit Ukraine on hoilidays and ask your Ukrainian friends qurstions about their country.
T: Please, who wants to act out this situation?
Presenting new vocabulary. (Slides 4-19)
T: Now, children, I am going to present new vocabulary. Be very attentive and remember the names of the holidays. Slide 4)
T: Look at slide 4. What holiday is this? – Birthday.
Look at slide 5. What holiday is this? – New Year’s Day.
Look at slide 6. What holiday is this? – Christmas.
Look at slide 7. What holiday is it? –St. Valentine’s Day.
Look at slide 8. What holiday is it? – Women’s Day.
Look at slide 9. What holiday is it? – Easter Day.
Look at slide 10. What holiday is it? - May Day.
Look at slide 12. What holiday is it? – Mother’s Day
Look at slide 13. What holiday is it? – Condtitutian Day.
Look at slide 14. What holiday is it? - Independence Day.
Look at slide 15. What holiday is it? – The Day of Knowledge.
Look at slide 16. What holiday is it? – Halloween.
Look at slide 17. What holiday is it? – Thankthgiving Day.
Look at slide 18. What holiday is it? – St. Nickolas Day.
Look at slide 19. What holiday is it? - Wedding Day.
T: Which of these holidays have you heard of?
Which of them are celebrated in Ukraine?
Which ones are celebrated only in Britain?
Which of these holiday celebrations would you like to participate in ?
T: Now look at the placards on your blackboard. What holidays can you see?
4. Match the pairs. You have 1 minute only. Start, please), (Cards)
1. St. Nickolas’ Day
The Day of Knowledge
St. Valentine’s Day
День Святого Валентина
День Святого Миколая
4 a) Check your answers. (Slide 20)
Key: 1g, 2d, 3i,4j, 5h 6f, 7b, 8c, 9e 10a
T: Listen to the dialogues and guess the holidays (Tape- recorder)
P1: Bithday. P2: Easter. P3: Wedding Day. P4: Christmas.
Dear pupils, don’t forget to tick your answers in the cards.
5. Presenting new grammar material “Cardinal and Ordinal Numerals” (“Кількісні та поряднові числівники”)
T: В англійській мові всі числівники поділяються на кількісні (cardinal) та порядкові (ordinal).
Кількісні називають кількість предметів . How many? Скільки ? Один – one, два – two, три – three etc.
Порядкові називають порядок слідування предметів, або їх послідовність у списку. Крім перших трьох, порядкові числівники утворюються від відповідних кількісних числівників шляхом додавання суфікса – th (c). При цьому деякі з них зазнають змін у написанні.Порядкові числівники відповідають на питання – Котрий ? – Which?
1st – first 15th - fifteenth
2nd – second 20th - twentieth
3rd – third 21st – twenty- first
4th – fourth 100th – one hundredth
Зазвичай порядкові числівники вживаються з означеним артиклем : the . E.g. the fifth form.
6. Practising grammar material.
T: Open your books at page 167, exercise 4. Listen and repeat after me, please.
Make up the ordinal numerals. Individual card 1
thirty –four -
twenty- five -
7. Speaking.(Slide 21)
T: Say the dates:
07 / 01 7th January
14 / 02 14th February
08 / 03 8th March
20 /04 20th April
01 / 05 1st May
19 / 12 19th December
St. Valentine’s Day
St. Nickolas’ DAy
T: What holidays do we celebrate on these days?
Example: We celebrate Christmas on the seventh of January.
8. Pair Work
T: Make up pairs, please.Discuss the situation, children.
You’ve met a fiend of yours just before the coming holiday.
- Hello, Ann.
- Hello, Kate. How are you?
- I am OK.
- When is your birthday?
- It is on ________of ___________. And yours?
- It’s on ___________ of __________.
2) Dialogue 2.
- What is your favourite holiday?
- I like Christmas.
- Why do you like Christmas?
- It is a merry and happy hoiliday in my family.
3) Dialogue 3.
- Hi, N…
- Hi, M…
- Where are you going?
- Easter is comming, you know. I am going to buy paints. I like to make pysankas and krashankas for the holiday of Easter.
- Me, too. Let’s go together, OK?
4) Dialogue 4.
- How are you?
- I am fine, thanks.
- What holiday are you going to celebrate?
- Mother’s Day.
- Is there such a holiday in Ukraine?
Yes, of course. It is in the second Sunday in May. I have bought a present for Mum and Granny.
5. Dialogue 5.
-Good morning L...
- Good morning M…
-Are you going to celebrate May Day?
- Sure. It is a merry spring holiday.
- Where will you go?
- I’ll visit my granny and other relatives.
6. Dialogue 6.
- Have ypou already decorated the flat?
- Not yet. But I am going to decorate it with my parents.
- Have you already bought presents?
-I’ve bought some postcards.
- Good bye.
- Good bye.
7. Dialogue 7.
- Good morning, Ann.
- When is Independence Day?
- It’s on August, 24. When is the Day of Knowledge?
- As far as I know, it is on September, 1.
- Thank you.
8. Dialogue 8.
- What a nice pumpkin have you got?
- Really? It’s for the holiday.
- What holiday?
- It’s for Halloween, of course.
9. Dialogue 9.
- Good morning.
- When do we celebrate Women’s Day?
- It’s on March, 8.
- How do you celebrate it?
- I wish mother health and happiness. And you?
- I say mother and granny good health because I love them very much.
9. A minute for relax. T: I think you are tired, children, let’s have a rest.
10. Developing reading and speaking skills. Group work.
T: Children, make up groups of four, please, do the tasks: Arrange the sentences in the right order to make up dialogues out of separate sentences. You have 3 minutes.
Check your answers. (Slide23)
What holidays can you see?
I can see Mother’s Day, Halloween and Christmas.
Why do you think so?
I can see Santa Claus and Christmas Tree.
Is it Christmas in Ukraine?
I think it is Christmas in England.
- What holidays can you see?
- I think they are Mother’s Day, Halloween and Christmas.
- Why do you think so?
- I can see a pumpkin, a mother with her daughter and Santa Claus.
- Is it Mother’s Day in Ukraine?
- I think it is in Ukraine. This holiday has recently appeared in Ukraine We celebrate it on the second Sunday of May.
3) (Halloween, Mother’s Day, Christmas)
- Look at the placards. What holidays can you see?
- I can see three holidays there.
- What are they?
- I think they are Christmas, Halloween, and Mother’s Day.
- Do you like these holidays?
- Sure. They are very interesting.
- What is your favourite holiday?
-As for me, I like Halloween very much.
- Why do you like this holiday?
- I like the costumes. People dress in costumes and go from house to house saying: “Trick or Treat”. They are given many sweets.
- Yes, it is a very popular English tradition.
- Thank you.
5) – Do you like holidays?
- Yes, of course. And you?
- I like holidays, especially Easter.
- When do we celebrate Easter?
- It is on the 20th of April?
- Thank you. Easter is my favourite holiday too?
11. Developing writing skills. Test. (Slide 22)
1. You celebrate this holiday on 9th May. What holiday is it?
a) Women’s Day b) May Day c) Victory Day
2. When do we have the Day of Knowledge?
a) 25th December b) 24th August c) 1st September
3. Women’s Day is the holiday of ______________.
a) boys b) men c) women
4. What holiday comes on1st January?
a) Christmas b) New Year’s Day c) St. Nickolas Day
5. We find presents under the New Year’s Tree on ___________.
a) New Year’s Day b) St. Nickolas Day c) St. Valentines Day
6. People bake paskas and bless them in the church on ____________.
a) Victory Day b) Halloween c) Easter
11a. Check youe answers. (Slide 23). The key to the test: 1C, 2C, 3C, 4B, 5A, 6C.
12. T: Would you like to invite your English friend to celebrate a special holiday with you?
What special holiday do we celebrate every year? P: Wedding Day.
Look at the screen read and complete the invitation card. (Slide 24)
Please join me to _____________
The ___________ day in Malynivka
Saturday, 8th______________ 2014, at 10. 00 a.m.
Much music, dancing, songs, karaoke
Meet at the central ___________ of Malynivka.
See you then! Bohdan.
Celebrate, August, square, Wedding
13. Remember the English proverb: So many countries, so many customs. (Slide25)
III. Summarizing (Slide 26)
Homework: to learn the new words, Ex. 8, p.168 ( to write a note to your friend about a festival in your village)
Summing up of the lesson.
T: Children, our lesson is comming to the end. You worked very well.You were active, productive and hardworking during the lesson. I liked you very much. What did we do during the lesson?
P1: We got to know the names of many English and Ukrainian holidays;
P2: We learnt grammar rules;
P3: We spoke in dialogues;
P4: We had a small test.
T: Count your balls, please. How many balls have you got?
Stick a smile to your cards if you liked the lesson. Show me your cards, please! Thank you.
The lesson is over. Good bye!