WHY DID THE LITTLE DOG DIE?
Once Mrs. Reed intended to give a party. She wanted to invite her friends for dinner and a game of bridge. She was thinking what special dish to prepare for dinner when her maid-servant announced that there was a man at the back door offering to sell mushrooms.
The lady accompanied by the little terrier came down to the kitchen and found there a stranger with a basket over his arm. The lady knew nothing about mushrooms and she asked the man if they were not poisonous. The man reassured her that they were good. The lady paid the money at once, ordering the servant to empty the basket and return it to its owner. While the servant was emptying the basket she dropped a mushroom, and the terrier immediately swallowed it.
The guests arrived at the appointed hour and were served a dish of mushrooms, which they liked very much. When the guests began to play cards, the hostess noticed that the servant's eyes were red with tears. Calling her aside, Mrs. Reed asked her what was the cause of her tears. The girl said that she was crying because the dog had died.
The terrible truth flashed through the lady's brain. She addressed her guests and said that the mushrooms she had offered them were poisonous. She suggested going to the nearest hospital to have the contents of their stomachs pumped out. All rushed to the hospital. The staff of the hospital were surprised to see a group of patients in evening dress.
On arriving home, the lady asked where the terrier's body was.
"Oh," said the servant, still sobbing, "The gardener has buried it, for it was so badly smashed, and we didn't even have time enough to put down the number of the car that so cruelly ran over the poor little pet."
True or False?
Once Mrs. Reed intended to invite her friends to a restaurant. _____
2. Mrs. Reed was good at cooking and decided to prepare something herself. _____
3. A man at the back door was offering to sell mushrooms. _____
4. The maid-servant asked the stranger if the mushrooms were not poisonous. _____
5. The lady returned the empty basket to the servant. _____
6. A dish of mushrooms appealed to the guests. _____
7. The hostess noticed that the servant had been crying. _____
8. The lady told the guests that the mushrooms had been poisonous. _____
9. The guests rushed to the drugstore. _____
10. They had no enough time to put down the number of the taxi. _____
Choose the correct option
Mrs. Reed wanted to invite her friends
She was thinking
The lady was accompanied by
The lady paid
The terrier swallowed a mushroom because
The servant’s eyes were red because
Mrs. Reed realized that
The gardener buried the dog because
The poor little pet