1. The actual results fairly differed from the anticipated ones.
2. The plane was approaching an airport when one of the engines failed.
3. In poor countries, children often have to live on the street and beg for food.
4. The branch of the tree was too thick to bend.
5. Slightly over 20 per cent of Ukrainians hold the view that amnesty can be granted to all combatants from illegal armed units in the Donbas except for those who have committed violent crimes (such as murder of civilians or torture).
6. The sight of a blown-up bridge made my skin crawl.
7. Laura feels worried because her college application has been deferred.
8. I really struggle to drag myself out of bed in the morning.
9. The new social programme enables ex-prisoners to successfully re-integrate into society.
10. Individuals with enhanced DNA are no longer the product of science fiction.
1. I was about to faint when I realised that we had missed our plane.
2. I don’t like being flattered, but some of my colleagues do.
3. My granny still prefers grinding coffee beans with a mortar and pestle.
4. Gargling with salt water is believed to ease a sore throat.
5. If your kitchen sink is gurgling / makes a gurgling sound, that means the drain is clogged.
6. Like many other children from disadvantaged families, Tina was bullied at school and even harassed.
7. It’s ridiculous to think that you can add value to yourself by humiliating others.
8. The focus group participants were asked to reflect on a country whose experience in implementing reforms Ukraine might draw upon.
9. There is a widely held superstition that if the palm of your right hand itches, you’ll soon make money.
10. Have you ever got fined for jaywalking?
11. As I see it, adultery should not be justified.
1. We had the first pottery class yesterday. The teacher showed us how to knead the clay before throwing it on a pottery wheel.
2. People in the church knelt down, cried and prayed in hopes that God will forgive their sins.
3. It took me quite a time to lick the essay into shape, but it was worthwhile.
4. Having grown up in a traditional family, Miriam loathed everything claiming to be “modern” or “progressive”.
5. Melt a stick of butter in a saucepan, then add some salt and parsley leaf powder. Make sure the butter is not burning.
6. My nephew sometimes moans about his cat’s habit of scratching the couch.
7. I haven’t got a clue how to prevent my co-workers from nagging at each other.
8. Don’t you know that working so strenuously is nibbling away at your energy and health?
9. A religious sect usually requires that an individual unconditionally obey its spiritual leader.
10. As a matter of fact, Ukrainian applied sociology owes its very existence to a handful of enthusiasts who started developing a social survey methodology as early as the 1980s.
1. Fiona made a mistake by praising her only son in front of his friends, didn’t she?
2. Muslims are obliged to pray five times a day, fast during Ramadan, which is called “the Holy Month”, and go on a pilgrimage to Mecca.
3. Stop quarrelling with your significant other over insignificant things, or else you’ll ruin your relationship.
4. If only we had left at least ten minutes earlier! We wouldn’t be queueing outside the entrance.
5. The teacher said to the class: “Let’s first recall the general formula for measuring surface tension”.
6. Rinsing dumplings under cold water immediately after cooking prevents them from sticking to each other.
7. A group of balaklava-clad men with guns, presumably AFNPG members, have seized the municipal court building.
8. The census shows that the proportion of young adults has considerably shrunk over the past decade. In a sense, this poses a threat to the economy.
9. The anger and resentment of the crowd seemed impossible to tame.
10 That new TV show will tickle the imagination of any, even the most jaded audience.
1. Neil must have underestimated his rival. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have been checkmated.
The number of people having to work illegally and therefore often experiencing workplace violence is considerably underestimated.
2. All the guests were ushered into the room where the wedding ceremony was about to start.
3. I still remember that talkative red-haired woman vending flowers and chewing gums on the street corner.
4. My elder sister felt nauseous and vomited almost every morning when she was pregnant.
5. Lisa kept whining and begging her mother to buy another ice cream cone.
6. The teacher noticed Harry and Alison winking at each other.
7. Despite the widespread view that people yawn to take more oxygen, there is no clear biological reason for yawning that is agreed upon.
8. State-of-the-art techniques for data processing, if used properly, yield quick and reliable results.
9. An unknown disease is said to have zapped hundreds of cows and goats.
10. Zip your bag, or else you’ll have your purse stolen.