1. The Golden City of Jaisalmer (India) is __ oasis of splendid old architecture that rises from the sand dunes of ___ Thar Desert.
2. The tilework and dome of the Gur-e-Amir Mausoleum (Uzbekistan) are particularly beautiful; be sure to return at _ night when ___ building is spotlit to grand effect.
3. ___ Pamir Mountains, often referred to as “the roof of the world”, divide Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
4. _ Zugspitse is the highest mountain in _ Germany. With its all-year-round snowy caps, it is a major tourist attraction.
5. William Tyndale (1494–1536) was ___ first to translate the New Testament into _ English.
6. The Underground Railroad in ___ United States was _ network of people, African American as well as white, offering _ shelter and aid to escaped slaves from ___ South.
7. Nobody had walked the length of ___ Amazon before Ed Stafford.
8. _ Lake Victoria in _ Africa is the world’s largest tropical lake and the second largest freshwater lake. It covers a total area of 68,800 square kilometres.
9. Chile has __ unusual, ribbon-like shape, extending nearly 4,300 km from north to south and only averaging 175 km from east to west.
10. Australia, ___ smallest continent and one of ___ largest countries on Earth, lies between ___ Pacific and Indian oceans in the southern hemisphere.
Fill in the blanks in each sentence with a, an, the or zero article. In the latter case, write “0” in the blank.